Walmart has pleaded guilty to several workplace safety violations after a teenage worker died in a Canadian store last year. Here are the details from the Toronto Star:
- The retail giant was charged under the Occupational Health and Safety Act after a 17-year-old employee at a store in Grand Falls was electrocuted on Jan. 5, 2011.
- Patrick Desjardins was using a floor buffer on a wet floor in a garage at the time.
- Crown attorney Karen Lee Lamrock says Denis Morin, who was a supervisor at the store, also pleaded guilty to two charges under the act.
- She says Wal-Mart was fined $120,000 and Morin $1,056.
- WorkSafeNB, the Crown agency responsible for the act, has said Desjardins was using an inappropriate floor polisher and a faulty extension cord when he died.
According to the article, the equipment being used by the teen had not been inspected and was in poor working condition.